Monday, June 7, 2010

A WEEK IN REVIEW ,Monday, May 31

Memorial Day was quiet for us. Lisa and Steven drove to Valdosta, where Steven will spend the summer with his dad helping at the restaurant. Lisa spent the night there, and then left at 4 AM Tuesday in order to get home and be ready for a 9 AM meeting at work.

The rest of this week has included several house projects, motorhome projects (installed a new bathroom faucet, water purifier in the kitchen and a propane connection from RV to grill). Meanwhile, Randi was busy having a suspicious place on the back of her leg removed. It was not a big deal and we expect a good lab report.

Saturday morning Randi began her mowing again. The saranwrap around her right knee is to keep the dirt out of her surgical wound.



Because she was having so much fun, I decided to visit Herlong Field, an airport where there is a glider operation. I was disappointed that I didn’t experience the usual Southern hospitality there. Curt, their senior instructor was the only one to make an effort to talk to me and introduce me to other members of the club.
After the introductions there was very little interaction. During a rain squall I sat with the club members and no one made any effort to engage me in conversation quite the opposite form my club Cypress Soaring. In contrast the members of Cypress Soaring where I have been a member in California for about 25 years, are always so anxious to meet strangers on the field, engage them in conversation and involve them in our activities. The day wasn’t a total loss however, since Jason, Tamara and Trent joined us for dinner and a great visit at Lisa’s.



Sunday was yet another day of home and garage projects with lots of help from Lisa’s brother and sister in law (Sherry and Leon). Brooke has been busy working and attending graduation parties with fellow classmates, so our visits with her have been brief, but we’ll be sharing her excitement at her graduation tomorrow night. Tonight we enjoyed another good time with Jason, Tamara. Trent and neighbors, Kristen and Kenny.



We have been pretty busy during our visit here, but there is never enough time with family and friends. We only enjoyed one day with Diane, Randi’s friend since age 10. Days became weeks, then the time was gone. We will continue our journey early Tuesday AM.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ivan and Randi!! I thought I had signed up for your blog before, but maybe I've done it right, now! It will take me some time to investigate your travels thusfar. I'm so sorry to read about the lack of southern hospitality, Ivan, but I've always said Florida is a misplaced Yankee state. Lord knows, enough of them have retired there. If you want some REAL Southern hospitality, you need to include Alabama/ Tennessee. We'd try to represent a little better and would love to see you guys. Give Lisa and Jason big hugs from me please. I have a bit of news for you. Gretta is transferring to Pomona! and will be there in August. Charlie will take her and her little car and fly back, but I think I will be coming to California some over the next two years!

    ReplyDelete